Friday, March 6, 2009

MOTOBECANE CONVERSION

Today I finally finished my latest single speed project, a late 70s Motobecane Mirage. I bought the frame on Craigslist about a month ago, and I've been slowly building it up using mostly spare parts. I'm happy with the way that it turned out, although there were some frustrating moments, such as the hour I spent trying to remove the cluster on the rear wheel only to find out after some extensive research that Maillard Helico Matic hubs have a weird spiral and lockring system that makes them impossible to convert to single speed. Also, don't ever use the bar plugs that come with Prologo tape. EVER. Rarely have I encountered anything so badly designed. They will shred your tape and the 3 part system is rediculous. I should have just bought different plugs for 50 cents, but I got mad and decided that this was a battle I was not going to lose. Turns out, nobody wins when plastic hex bolts are involved... in the end it was more like an uneasy truce. This is the first time I have used Prologo tape, and even though it's a fairly comfy cork feel, I think next time I'll spend the extra couple of bucks on Fizik. Anyway, I love the bike; it rides smooth and is quite light. Perks include vintage SR drops, cool integrated Pyramid SS crankset, and a pretty cool old Schwinn brake lever.  Total cost: $67.  Pics:
UPDATE 6/7- SOLD FOR $200 TO A NICE DUDE NAMED MARK!

2 comments:

Hemligt said...

Hi!

I'm about to do the exact same project 😊 How did you manage to remove the rear wheel hub and what kind of single speed replacement did you use?

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I was interested in the same project and would love some more information too!