Wednesday, March 18, 2009

LOCK DOWN

Lately in SLO it seems like there is an epidemic of bike thefts. Craigslist is littered with reports of stolen bikes. All these disappearing bikes have got me worried, even though i am always careful lock mine up. The last theft alert I saw, though, was posted by a guy who had his cable cut in broad daylight, right in the middle of the Cal Poly campus. That did it for me, and I decided that it was time to ditch the decently sturdy cable lock I usually use in favor of something much more heavy duty. The problem is, I'm not made of money, and the burly chain/lock combos sold by companies like Kryptonite are pretty expensive- they run anywhere between $30 and $75. So I did what any man worth his salt would do: I went to my local hardware store and bought 3 1/2 feet of big ass chain, and then hit the fabric store to pick out something for a home made protective sleeve. Total cost, about 15 bucks. My wife is pretty handy with the sewing machine, and she stitched me up a chain covering that rivals anything you can buy at the bike shop. I took it on a test ride this evening and it works great, although I think I might shorten it by a link on each side so it fits more snugly around my torso as I ride. It already has some chain grease on it, which is the bike version of the champagne bottle on the bow of the ship, I guess. Also, don't forget to vote for your favorite braking system in this week's poll in the right hand sidebar!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ya, of course you made it cheaper. Too bad it is not nearly as secure as a chain lock made by Kryptonite etc. Chain from the hardware store is not hardened, so it can be easily sawed with a hacksaw or cut with bolt cutters.Your idea would work if you could find some chain that is made with something other than mild steel.