Saturday, March 7, 2009

HOW COULD I PASS THIS UP?

Yesterday I went to Art's to pick up some components to finish the Motobecane and I made the mistake of perusing the tool rack before checking out. Turns out they had just gotten a shipment of the new "Trixie" fixed gear multi-tool made by Pedro's. I couldn't pass it up. Hell, I didn't want to! The tool is made of forged steel, and features a lockring spanner on one end and a 15mm box wrench on the other. It also has 8mm, 9mm, and 10mm box wrenches, a 5mm hex wrench, and the requisite bottle opener. At $27 it's a steal. A lockring spanner alone will cost you that much.
I have to admit that the final selling point for me was the fact that the tool includes a set of wingnuts that can be used to attach it to the water bottle bosses on any frame. The style points alone on this one make its purchase a no brainer, but the really great part is that I don't have to carry all these tools separately with me on my daily commute anymore. My previous method of securing my lockring involved a mallet and a flathead screwdriver, which are completely impractical to carry with me, obviously. Now, if my lockring loosens as I cheat death skidding around the back end of a car driven by some douchebag turning right with no blinker at the bottom of the hill on Santa Rosa, I'm set. If you want to buy one of these, you should check with your LBS first; otherwise you can order one from my favorite online distributor, Ben's Milwalkee Cycle.

No comments: