Monday, March 2, 2009

HALF LINK VS. CHAIN TENSIONER


I keep seeing SS/Fixed Gear bikes around town and on various websites that use a chain tensioner to take up the chain slack created by vertical dropouts.  I don't understand why the chain tensioner method seems to be so much more popular than the much sleeker and user-friendly half link.  For some reason people assume that half links are problematic; I have been told that they cause a clicking sound when contacting the cog and chainring, and that they are difficult to install.  This is totally untrue, at least in my experience.  Recently, I used a half link (which cost about $1) when I converted an old Raleigh with vertical dropouts, and I had great success getting the chain nice and tight.  I even tried a couple different chains to make sure I didn't just get lucky with the first one.  My brother, on the other hand, has been fighting with the chain tensioner on his SS Iron Horse conversion for the last year.  So don't sacrifice style for functionality with a component that looks exactly like the derailleur you just chucked in the trash! Instead, save your money and keep your bike looking good with a half link! 

NEW!!  MAKE YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS SUBJECT KNOWN BY PARTICIPATING IN THE POLL OF THE WEEK NOW LOCATED IN THE SIDEBAR!!

1 comment:

Morning Glory said...

I learned something new. Dad showed me.