Tuesday, July 7, 2009

MEET MY NEW HONEY

Last week I decided that I wanted a tenor guitar. I enjoy playing the mandolin in our band, but when it comes down to it, I'm no Bill Monroe. The tenor guitar is tuned in fifths like a fiddle in either C or G (the same as a mandolin). It has a nice tone that fits right between the guitar and the banjo, and it was quite a popular instrument during the middle of the 20th century, especially in country/americana bands. I put a 'wanted' add up on Craigslist one night, and the next morning I had an email from an old-timer in Cambria who
just happened to have one up in his attic.  Turns out it was a 1961 Epiphone with a solid mahogany top and neck. I bought it for $100. I named her Honey, and she lives up to the name, although adapting my mandolin leads to a new instrument with frets four times bigger is a bit of a challenge. After some jamming with the band, I strung her gDAE.  The higher G string where the low note should be takes some getting used to, but the inverted up-down rhythm that it provides is pretty cool sounding, as is the high drone note on open chords.  See Honey in action on Saturday, July 11th in Santa Maria when we open for Monte Mills.

No comments: