Sunday, August 7, 2011

PAINT AND ETC. (PART 1)

I'm a little behind on my posts right now, so here's an update on a few things that happened with the bike over the past few days; this post'll be a two parter.

First off, I started painting components. I decided on a Rustoleum Satin Black since my buddy just did his Sportster with it and it looks sick. Rather than tear down the whole bike, though, I decided to paint as many parts as I could in place. I pulled out every rag and sheet of packing paper I could find and started wrapping up everything I didn't want painted.

Here's the setup for painting the tank- note the use of an empty organic chicken feed bad to cover the crankcase. Profesh.


 
The tank came out nice, I think. I debated whether to leave the lettering chrome, but a lot of the finish was flaking off so I just sanded everything a bit and blacked out the whole thing. The paint on the back of the tank was pretty cracked in spots, but the satin fills it out ok... it might not look professional, but it does look badass, which is what counts, right?


The gauges sucked. When I took off the speedometer one of the mounting bolts came loose and fell into the case. I had to take the whole thing apart to get the screw out and put it back on the correct hole. So after an hour of screwing around with that (and the rubber facemounts that disintegrated and the almost slack-less cables, etc.,) I was able to 'mask' them off from the rest of the front end shoot them. Then I did the bars brake levers and lever mounts, top of the triple tree and the headlight bucket, leaving the ring around the lens chrome. I'm still deciding whether or not to do the fork ears and boots... Suggestions? 

the finished (for now) front end

No comments: