Saturday, February 19, 2011

'72 HONDA SL 125 HARDTAIL

Once I decided to hardtail this bike, I had to figure out the best way to do it. I played with a few ideas, and then went down to the local steel supply warehouse to see what they recommended. I ended up with two, twelve inch lengths of 1/12" wall 3/4 square stock.
The width was the exact same as the original suspension mounts, so all I had to do was drill out the holes in the right spots for the bottom stud and top bolt. I was about to make a plywood template when I realized I have a doweling jig, donated to my garage by my father in law. The jig self-centers, and keeps the bit perfectly plumb during drilling.

Fortunately, the bottom stud diameter was 1/2" and the top bolt was 5/16- both dimensions included in the doweling jig. I clamped it down and used my corded drill for a little extra power- the holes took a while, but they came out perfect.

I set the first strut, leaving the seat frame about 3/4" off the rear tire. Then, I drilled the bottom stud hole in the second strut, so I could mount it and mark the exact center of the final top bolt hole. This strategy worked great; I drilled the last hole, mounted the second strut, and that was it. Now I've got a (sort of ghetto) hardtail frame.
The location of the rear light will have to be changed, and I'm gonna have my work cut out for me trying to figure out how to mount a fender, seat, and sissy bar., but I'm stoked on the way the bike sits so much lower now. I went back to Google Image Search to get some ideas for the fender, etc., and came across a couple pics of bikes similar to mine: small frames/motors with a bulky look to them, but I couldn't put my finger on what was different about them. Finally, around midnight, I realized that all those bikes had an elevated gas tank that provides a sort of "gorilla" geometry. Also, many of these motorcycles have a lowered headlight. I like how both these elements really make a bike stand out, and I ought to be able accomplish both pretty easily, so... I guess that'll be the next post.

No comments: