Saturday, February 19, 2011

GAS TANK LIFT: GHETTO OR BADASS???

I woke up yesterday morning with a plan already formed in my head for lifting my gas tank. Like I mentioned in the previous post, my goal here is to beef up the aesthetics of the bike, for that "gorilla" geometry. I think I got the term "gorilla" from my buddy JMan who once claimed that a dude should transform into an ape as soon as he straddles a well-built bike. So, in an effort to make myself and my motorcycle more ape-like, I headed out to the garage to forage around in my many tool boxes of random shit until I found the perfect riser mount.

I started by removing the original rubber mount that friction fit under two tabs welded to the frame. Then, I ground out the rivet on a turn of the century window sash lock that I had left over from a remodel we did on a late 1800's house a few years ago. I knew it would come in handy at some point! Thanks to homeowner Joey Meese for letting me keep all that old hardware.
I drilled out the old mounting tabs on the frame and bolted on the sash lock. Then I began the arduous task of selecting spacers. I wanted to raise the tank about 2 inches, so I started with some washers and then started trying out random other items. Finally, I found the solution.

An old, stripped 14mm socket put the tank just about where I wanted it, so I stacked everything up, ran a 2.5" bolt up the middle of the spacers and through the tank mount tab, which already had a hole in it. A couple nuts on top secured everything down, and I was done.

Next, it's time to move my headlight down, and I think I'll get rid of the dust boots on the forks. Then, I have to figure out how to fab and mount a springer seat... I'm thinking straight steel. So here's my question: is this super ghetto? Or just straight up badass? I'm ready for some feedback on my project, so let me know!

No comments: