Sunday, August 16, 2009

INTRODUCING THE "JONNY REB" TENOR CIGAR BOX GUITAR

So here it is, finally! The Jonny Reb Tenor CBG, all strung up and ready to go. It's not the loudest guitar by any means, but it's got a really distinctive tone that I can't quite place... something between a crappy cello and a nylon string guitar you'd buy at the Tijuana border crossing. In other words, perfect. I originally wanted to put frets on it, but I kind of like it fretless now that I've played it. Also, due to the 19" neck and the strange bridge position, the first few frets would be pretty massive. It's playable though, so I'll either burn in fret markers once I figure out exactly where they are, or I'll just put cheater dots on the side of the fretboard. I think I might have to install ferrels where the strings come out of the tailpiece since they are digging in more than I thought they would, and I think it's causing the strings to go flat, but other than that, my design works pretty well. I strung it GDAE, tenor style. I have to admit that I was pretty sure the whole thing was going to explode or shatter or something when I was tightening up the strings, but it held together just fine. Next post will involve a video or recording of me playing it.  

Specs:
-Poplar neck
-Mahogany fingerboard
-2/25 mahogany cigar box
-Mahogany nut
-Steel T-strike bridge
-Nickel sealed gear tuners (mismatched discount set, 3 right, 1 left.)
-shower drain sound hole
-Mineral Spirits finish
-D'Addario light gauge strings
-Total cost: about $40.00

2 comments:

Eric said...

That's amazing! It looks gorgeous. I would love to hear some sound files. Great work.

Solera said...

I would say the fact that you made the guitar was a prodigy, i.e. "an extraordinary, marvelous, or unusual accomplishment," and you may call yourself a luthier with pride, but I still maintain that it's a little late to apply the term prodigy, i.e. "a highly talented child or youth," to yourself old man.

This, of course, has nothing to do with how impressed I am. Which is in the extreme! It is gorgeous. You should bring it down and play it for us this weekend.