Saturday, August 15, 2009

ADVENTURES IN GUITAR BUILDING

About a week ago I was searching Ebay for something I'm sure I didn't need, and I came across a cigar box guitar. Quite simply, it's a home made guitar that uses a cigar box as a resonator cavity. I got really stoked on the idea of owning one of these instruments, and I figured that, as a sometime finish carpenter, I should be able to build one pretty easily. I did some research, bought an assortment of empty cigar boxes from my local cigar shop, rustled up some poplar 1x3 and started planning. Somewhere along the way Ta-Ta's the banjo man got involved and decided to build himself a cigar box banjo. He came up with some close-grain mahogany crate wood (who builds crates from mahogany?) and we set up in the red house garage to build us some pickin' machines. Here are some shots from tonight's experimental session, in which we learned that tuning pegs are weird, jigsaw blades can actually light on fire, and, contrary to popular belief, it is possible to freehand a headstock on a table saw with no guide- super sketchy, but possible.

Necessary starting materials: Poplar, check. Cigar box, check. FatMax, check. Alcohol, check.

Ta-Ta's sanding out his neck. Obviously, our work area is conducive to safety and efficiency.

Me, prepared for flap-disking and mustard gas. 

1 comment:

Box Guitar Blues said...

Man thats cool to see you post about this

! You can build and play it ..it's easy!

If you need help check out this site, it has links to how to videos and stuff...

http://www.3-string-guitar.com/