Monday, June 23, 2008

Single Speed Conversion

Here are some pics of the first single-speed bike that I built. I just put the finishing touches on it a couple of days ago. It's a sweet ride, geared perfectly for riding the hills in SLO.

BEFORE: Huffy "Savanna" *** $30.00 on Craigslist


AFTER: Total Cost $130.00
I stripped off all the components and started over with just the frame. Originally I was going to paint it Propane Tank White, but after a couple of days I got attached to the Metallic Blue. I used a freewheel BMX cog and the chain ring off of my old Schwinn from when I was a kid. The ratio is 40:16. I flopped and chopped some old road bars to make custom Pursuit Bars. Other components include: vintage NOS saddle; vintage Redline BMX platform pedals; SR stem; bitchin' Huffy brake lever; old school Schwinn calipers; Araya 27 x 1 1/4 wheels; Duro red-wall tires.

1 comment:

D.A.N.C.E. said...

Hey! Great great site. I really want to build up my first fixed gear. Right now I have an old womens road bike. I might come to you for questions whenever I get started haha. Um. The road bike that I have now have 27 x 1 1/4 araya wheels. Is that wheel size common for fixies?